Friday, December 7, 2012

Stop What You're Doing and Read This Book Immediately

What's Left of Me
by Kat Zhang




I have a severe weakness for dystopian literature.  Young Adult, Adult, Juvenile, Short Story, Graphic Novel, it doesn't matter.  Strangely, I'm not a fan of "The Walking Dead."  Mostly because everyone on the show is stupid as hell.  But I digress.

"What's Left of Me" is probably the fifth or sixth post-apocalyptic novel I've read this year; although I use the term "apocalypse" loosely, because I'm not sure if there was some Event that made things the way they are in this version of the world, or if this is an alternate universe.  Regardless, this book is awesome, and you should read it right now.

The story is about Eva and Addie, two souls that exist in the same body.  Everyone is born with two souls, one more dominant than the other.  At the age of four or five, the dominant soul "settles" into the body, and the recessive soul disappears.  Only Eva never disappears, and she and Addie have to hide the truth about themselves from their family and everyone else. 

I'm a sucker for feel-good sibling story lines, and I don't think two siblings can get any closer than this.  You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll yell at the obligatory clueless adults.  If you don't, you're probably dead inside.

Run, don't walk, to your nearest library/bookstore/friend's house and read this book immediately.


Read more reviews of this book on LibraryThing.

No comments:

Post a Comment