Monday, February 11, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.  You should go there immediately.  After you read this.




Top Ten Favorite Romances
I didn't realize until I tried to write this that I don't read many romances.  I kept trying to write about couples that aren't featured in romantic books, which probably don't count.  Some of them weren't even canon, so they definitely don't count.  (except to me!)




Oh, hell yeah.  Is there anything better than when Mr. Rochester realizes it's Jane in the room with him?  And then he's crying and she's crying and I'm crying and we're all hugging each other and he's blind and still handsome in an unconventional way OH GOD!



I'm sure this is not the first novel most people think of when they think about romances, but I don't know how you can better represent undying love than by following your soul mate down to hell.  This book has so many beautiful quotes about love and partnership that you could make a second book with just those quotes in it and sell it to the same people that bought What Dreams May Come.



This love story was definitely only in the background of A Series of Unfortunate Events, but it still resonated with me.  This companion book to the series held a lot more mysteries than answers, and for that it was frustrating.  But reading the cryptic letters detailing Lemony's history with Beatrice was well worth the frustration; especially for quotes like this, "Always.  Continuously.  With increasing apprehension, and decreasing hope....I will love you until the chances of us running into one another slip from slim to zero, and until your face is fogged by distant memory, and your memory faced by distant fog, and your fog memorized by a distant face, and your distance distanced by the memorized memory of a foggy fog....That, Beatrice, is how I will love you even as the world goes on its wicked way."  I even used that quote in my wedding.



Oh, Howl.  You're so vain.  You probably think this Top Ten Tuesday's about you.  But, seriously, if you can find a man to fall in love with you even if you've accidentally been turned into an old lady, you've won.



Start this series if you want to read the hottest love scene ever between a human and a god.  I don't know why you haven't stopped reading this post and gone to your nearest library/bookstore.  I haven't read the third book in this trilogy yet, and I hate myself for it.  This is the series for all fantasy lovers, and any average looking woman who has ever wanted a damaged, all-powerful Nightlord to want her.



I can't remember the first time I read this book, but I had to have been in middle school.  So, I was definitely still living in a fantasy world where the most popular, good-looking boy in school might somehow notice me and become obsessed with me.  That never happened.  But Louise Plummer taught me that it could.  Also, that you should probably shave your legs, even in the winter, just in case that guy you've always had the hots for comes home from college for Christmas break.



I could probably get kicked off the internet for not posting this one.  But I honestly don't know why I wouldn't, Darcy and Elizabeth are everything.  I love it when people admit they're wrong.  And I also love it when bad-ass ladies like Lizzie stand up to snooty rich bitches.  Take what's yours, Lizzie!



Thank God for normal characters like Molly Gibson and Roger Hamley.  Just when you think that classic romantic literature is all one big soap opera, you get a story like this.  Which...was still pretty much like a soap opera.  But Molly and Roger are the only people who are only ever themselves.  And sure, he wanted her prettier sister first, but that happens to everyone.




She's a princess, but she's a teenager too.  This whole series could easily be an excerpt from any of our diaries at Mia's age, which is probably which makes it so easy to love.  No other book is talking about the things we really think of about boys, like the way their necks smell.  And how sometimes you have to take some time out to grow up before you can be together.




Because sometimes the best thing you can bring to a relationship is finding yourself, and becoming the best version of you that you can.  God, Steve Martin.  Why do you have to be good at EVERYTHING?




What are your favorite romances?  I'd love to hear them!

12 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to see Howl and Sophie on your list! I also have them on mine and they are just the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Howl and Sophie! I know there is at least one sequel to the series, but I heard that they are not featured in it as much. I haven't read it yet, because I just can't imagine that world without them being a big part of it.

      Delete
  2. I have only see the movie version of Howl's Moving Castle, but I did like it, and I won a copy of the book I hope to get to soon!

    I have conflicted feelings about Rochester unfortunately. He does a number of slightly sketchy things. Villette is actually my favorite Charlotte Bronte novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, Rochester definitely has his faults. I'm sure Jane had to have a "Let's talk about this Attic/Prison situation" discussion with him.

      I haven't read Villette yet, but it is on my list!

      Delete
  3. Shopgirl! I had completely forgotten about that book. I love Steve Martin so much.

    And the name of your blog is pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pretty much always making tshirts for one event or the other. Although, I seem to have different criteria for what events are big enough to warrant shirts. Right now I'm trying to involve my friends in making t-shirts for the Game of Thrones Season Three premier.

      Delete
  4. That's twice Howl has appeared on one of these lists. And it's completely unfamiliar to me.

    Here's ♥♥♥Love Stories I Love♥♥♥
    . I'd love to have you stop by and share your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You MUST read Howl's Moving Castle. It's both funny and romantic, which is the perfect combo.

      Delete
  5. Awww I love the Prince Diaries! Great list!

    Here's my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've ever read WHAT DREAMS MAY COME in spite of having seen the movie a million times. I'll need to remedy that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, God, just make sure to have a LOT of kleenex ready. As amazingly beautiful and inspiring as the movie is, the book is even more so.

      Delete