Monday, February 18, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.  You should go there immediately.  After you read this.




Top Ten Favorite Characters in Retold Fairy Tales/Fables/Myths Genre
It was REALLY hard to narrow this top ten down to one genre.  I made about five lists before I settled on this one.  But I've been reading A LOT of retold fairy tales lately, so it seemed like a good final choice.



 "If at any time you sense yourself in danger of breaking any of the tenets of the Millinery Code you must immediately remove your Hat from active service." - from the Millinery Code of Honor (Hatter M: The Looking Glass Wars Vol. 1 by Frank Beddor)




"What did that mean?  Where could it go?  He was a death diety.  I was a high school senior."  - Pierce Oliviera (Abandon by Meg Cabot)




"Jack, I've just locked myself in the closet and I can't see the kitchen anymore.  Can we abort?" - Mary Mary (The Fourth Bear by Jasper Fforde)




"They moved together, blue diamonds on a green field." (Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire)




"I know when you're happy, which is rare; when you're sad; and when you feel desperately lonely-- which is all too often."  - Bigby Wolf (Fables Series by Bill Willingham)





"I certainly know Bigby's worth.  And he tried to tell me yours, but I wouldn't listen.  I will in the future."  - Snow White (Fables Series by Bill Willingham)





"I'm sure I'll feel much more grateful when I find a guy who thinks complex wiring in a girl is a turn-on."  - Cinder (Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer)





"I am his moon, and his brightly shining star.  I am his life, his heart.  I am all that and the answer to every unspoken question, the comfort for every hurt, the companion who will walk beside him from now until the end of our lives, reveling in the bliss of each simple chore done in his name, overflowing with beauty because I am blessed to spend my life with my love"  - Juliet Capulet (Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay)




"He had everything a dream boy should have.  Back, front, sides, everything.  A head."  - Tallulah Casey (Withering Tights by Louise Rennison)





"The question is not about what's best, but what's right."  - DCI Jack Spratt (The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde)




What genre did you go with?  And who were your top ten characters?  Feel free to leave a link!

10 comments:

  1. I really love this genre so thanks for introducing me to more awesome books.

    Check out my Tuesday meme post here

    ~Danica Page@Taking it One Page at a Time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re-told fairy tales are one of my favorite things...and I saw two other lists where I didn't recognize anything and felt like I must be completely out of it, so thank you...thank you for posting Bigby and Mary Mary! (And Elphaba and Snow...but I adore Mary Mary and Bigby.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Mary Mary. Especially her whole thing with Arnold.

      Delete
  3. geez, I love Jasper Fforde. great list :) ~daphne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so wish I'd come up with this idea. Mine's nowhere near as cool. Thanks for hyping The Looking-Glass Wars. I definitely need to bump it further up on my TBR list.

    My TTT: http://shelversanon.blogspot.com/2013/02/top-10-tuesday-favorite-humorous.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really good series. I'm actually a bit behind and have yet to read the third one, but I know it will be good because the characters are all awesome.

      Delete