Monday, February 25, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.  You should go there immediately.  After you read this.






Top Ten Authors I'd Put On My Auto-Buy List
These are the authors I reread all the time.  I own most of the works of all of these writers, with a few exceptions here and there; maybe something hasn't been published in the US yet, or I've run out of money.





1.  Jasper Fforde - Easily the funniest man in the world.
     Book I'd Recommend to Start With:  The Eyre Affair
     Website





2.  Meg Cabot - Everything she writes, adult/ya/juvenile, it's all awesome.

Book I'd Recommend to Start With: 
The Princess Diaries





3.  Louise Rennison - Warning:  you will develop a British accent after reading her books.
 Book I'd Recommend to Start With:  Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging (Georgia Nicolson Series)





4.  Garth Nix - Please don't judge him by his website, which is awful.  He creates beautiful fantasy worlds.
Book I'd Recommend to Start With:  Sabriel (Abhorsen Series)





5.  J.K. Rowling - Yes, even The Casual Vacancy.
 Book I'd Recommend to Start With: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone (duh)





6.  Lemony Snicket - I hear some guy named Daniel Handler is pretty cool too.
 Book I'd Recommend to Start With:  The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events)






7.  Amy Tan - Warning:  All her books will make you hungry.
 Book I'd Recommend to Start With:  The Kitchen God's Wife






8.  Laurie Notaro - I feel like a phony because I actually haven't read her fiction work yet, but I intend to!
 Book I'd Recommend to Start With:  The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club






9.  Jen Lancaster - Ditto with her fiction.
 Book I'd Recommend to Start With:  Bitter is the New Black






10.  Sophie Kinsella/Madeleine Wickham - I know I said I was getting tired of her Shopaholic series, but the first one is still amazing and the rest of her stuff is great!
 Book I'd Recommend to Start With:  Confessions of a Shopaholic




Who are the authors on your auto-buy list?

20 comments:

  1. I added JK Rowling on my list too, although I haven't read The Casual Vacancy yet, and that might change her status. I just had a student bring in an Amy Tan book today- she has some really great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Casual Vacancy was a little hard to get into. It's more of a character study than anything else, so it's difficult to describe. I really enjoyed it, though!

      Delete
  2. Yay! Garth Nix! Have you read Sophie Kinsella's "Can You Keep a Secret?" It's the only one I've read by her so far, but I loved it. Also, you've just given me at least a half dozen books to add to my "to read" list. :)

    Thanks for commenting on my TTT! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I read that one and really enjoyed it. You should definitely read more of her stuff. Twenties Girl is probably my favorite.

      Delete
  3. It's strange - those published under the name Sophie Kinsella I love. But I've not been able to finish a Madeline Wickham book. I know they're the same author but I just didn't enjoy the older ones.

    Garth Nix is an author I intend to read. I've heard great things about his work - and he's an Aussie!

    Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      You're right, there is definitely a style difference between Kinsella books and Wickham books. I've only read two that she's written under Wickham, but when a new Kinsella one comes out, I'm all over it.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE Jasper Fforde. I'm about halfway through the Thursday Next series and I roll around laughing every time I read them. Great list!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I love Thursday, she's my spirit animal.

      Delete
  5. Louise Rennisson! She's on my list as well! Her books are awesomely hilarious and you're so right - I definitely start using some British slang after I read her books.

    Bekka
    Pretty Deadly Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I called someone a "tosser" the other day.

      Delete
  6. So happy to see Amy Tan listed! Most people haven't read her, but she's a wonderful writer. Great list and agree with your choices.

    Jessica @ Literary, etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Amy Tan. She's got a new book coming out this fall and I'm super excited!

      Delete
  7. Great list! Love the variety! Some of these books took me back, and some look super cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got a few Authors that I also have on my Top Ten.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, love your list! Our teacher made us chose between The Wyre Affair and Wuthering Heights for our book report. I chose Wuthering since I already had the copy, but now I feel like I should've read Eyre Affair! I feel like I should try tthe books by Loiuse Rennison :) Thanks for sharing, have a great week, and I welcome to the blog-o-sphere! New follower by the way :)
    Top 10 Auto-Buy Authors + Books That Made Me Think
    Waiting on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Wuthering Heights. So much drama.

      Definitely read The Eyre Affair and anything by Louise Rennison if you get a chance.

      Thanks for following!

      Delete
  10. I forgot to add Meg Cabot! Great list. :)

    ReplyDelete