Monday, March 25, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.  You should go there immediately.  After you read this.




Top Ten Books I Recommend the Most
I recommend a lot of books, but these are the ten that I always try to force on people.  They're also probably the ten books I would choose if I was only allowed to have ten for the rest of my life.




1.  Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

All the books in this series are amazing, but you could get by with only reading this one. This was the first science fiction novel I ever read and I try to read it at least once a year.  It's hard to describe to people because "little kids that live in space and have to learn computer war games to fight aliens" does NOT sound very appealing.  SO JUST TRUST ME, OKAY!






2.  Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Broody older man, creepy house, average-looking girl, secret wife, crazy house fires, leaving dramatically, french love-child that gets shipped off to help the plot, alcoholic maids.  This is by far my favorite classic novel.  The movie adaptation starring Michael Fassbender and Mia Wasikowska is perfection.  I would let Michael Fassbender shout at me allllllllll day.






3.  The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

A kick-ass heroine that can travel through books, specifically referencing one of my favorites AND it's written by a hilarious British guy?  Enough said.  I would pretty much recommend anything that Jasper Fforde writes, but this series is the best.  Thursday Next belongs to a group of police specializing in books, set in an alternative version of the 80's.  This series is everything.






4.  To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Not even forcing us to read it in high school could ruin this book for me.  The characters are so rich and the storyline is so moving.  My friend's cousin named her baby Atticus and I am super jealous.








5.  A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

This book is timeless.  Meg Murry is one of the best female heroines in the history of ever.  A smart girl in the peak of her awkward stage manages to save her father, travel through space and find the love of her life, all in one book.  You do you, Meg.








6.  The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling

I see no reason why you shouldn't have already read it.










7.  The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger

I've recommended this book to everyone I know who has ever had a shitty boss.  There is something extremely comforting about knowing that your nasty, evil boss can't possibly be worse than Miranda Priestly.  Also, now I read everything Miranda says in Meryl Streep's voice; making it ten times more amazing.







8.  The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

This one is actually not my favorite of all Amy Tan's novels, but I think it's the best one to start out with.  I know I've mentioned before that I get hungry when I read her novels, but she just writes about food so well!  All the descriptions of flavors and smells will make you want to stuff your face.  And the rest of her writing will make you want to go and hug your mother.






9.  A Time For Dancing by Davida Wills Hurwin

Dancing and Cancer and Best Friends.  This book has been one of my favorites since I was in middle school.  I've never seen a best-friendship explored as well as the relationship between Sam and Jules.  When someone has been your other half for forever, some things don't need explanation, and Davida Wills Hurwin manages to explain it without explaining.  Does that make any sense?  

There is a sequel and a movie adaptation; I wouldn't bother with either. 





10.  Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli

Do you know I had no idea that the Butterscotch Krimpets that Maniac eats all the time in this book were real?  Tastykake products started showing up in our local grocery stores a few months ago and MY MIND WAS BLOWN.  But that's not the best part of this book, obviously.  It's all about loving each other despite differences and blah blah blah.  Maniac is a fucking legend and that's all you need to know.







What books do you force all your friends to read?

11 comments:

  1. You have some great ones on there! To Kill a Mockingbird is always a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me you've read all the Bean/Shadow books too! I love them so so much, even more than the Ender books.

    Marissa @ Rae Gun Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read all but the last two, I think. I love Bean! My husband prefers the Bean series to the Ender series.

      Delete
  3. Harry Potter is everywhere!!!!! I must read that series!

    Thanks for sharing you recommendations! :)
    Roxy @ Story Envy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane Eyre is such a great book! It's been way too long since I read it, but I just watched the movie and it's pretty great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it, though? We need MORE Michael Fassbender.

      Delete
  5. I look forward to starting Ender's Game, I've heard so many great things about the series.

    Happy reading!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And then you HAVE to read the companion series starting with Ender's Shadow.

      Delete