Saturday, April 6, 2013

Weekly Update

Surprise, surprise!  I already failed my 365 Project.  I lasted eleven days, which is sad.  But, I'm back with full force!  I'm going to finish this 365, even if it KILLS US ALL.

I've been really good since my birthday about not buying books.  So, of course, I ruined it this week by buying a few ebooks and ransacking the library.  Plus, I went to my library branch book sale this morning. 

Here's a day by day breakdown of my week:


Saturday
Day before Easter.  Not much fun, because I had to work.  And the day was DRAGGING, too.  I did a little bit of book searching before we opened.  I was mostly looking for a copy of The Kingdom of Gods by N.K. Jemisin, but I accidentally looked on a few of the other shelves too and came home with a pile. 


The Kingdom of Gods is the last novel in N.K. Jemisin's Inheritance Trilogy, and I'm ashamed to say it's taken me forever to read it even after I loved the first two.  I just finished it and loved it just as much, so that will probably be my next review.

I also checked out Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor, because I've only seen about a million blog posts praising it.  I also got Fables Book 8: Wolves.  I tend to get distracted by books that people turn in if they look interesting, which is how I ended up with The House of Velvet and Glass by Katherine Howe and Flapper: A Madcap Story of Sex, Style, Celebrity, and the Women Who Made America Modern by Joshua Zeitz.  We'll see how they turn out.



Sunday
On Easter we slept in and started watching Season Two of Fringe.  You guys, this show is amazing.  I don't know why we didn't stick with it while it was still on TV.  I remember thinking it sounded cool when the previews for the first season came out, but the first episode I saw had that lady who had a baby in five minutes and then the baby grew up into an old man immediately and died in a closet.  I guess I was just not into that at the time.  But now we're hooked on this show.  I'm pretty sure I have what it takes to be an FBI agent. 



We spent the afternoon at my Mom's, having sandwiches and gambling.  You know, because nothing says Easter like gambling with your grandparents.  We played this dice game called Left Center Right or something.  My grandmother won the first round and then spent the rest of the day trying to give our money back to us.  It started raining like Crazy Town in the evening, so we went home and watched more Fringe!



Monday
Eh, typical Monday.  It was made better by the fact that we all went over to our friends' house to watch the season premiere of Game of Thrones (a day late).  It was so nice to see everybody again!  And by that I mean the characters of the show, of course, not my friends. 

Margaery is already working it and making all these poor kids love her.  Cersei is practically peeing her pants and I'm loving it!

And we got some Podrick action!  Hey, Pod!

One episode in and Melisandre is already weirding me out.  I may not like her character, but this actress is doing a great job.  She's managed to make Melisandre creepy and sexy at the same time.

Dany's looking fabulous, as usual.  But, if I were her, I would be on Jorah like bark on a tree.  Wake up, Kahleesi!



Tuesday
Nothing of importance; it was my late work day.  Just some more Fringe.



Wednesday
Had a belated Easter ham with my in-laws.  With bacon wrapped asparagus and red potatoes.  Now I'm hungry.  My niece, Darla, was there and astounded us all with her genius.  She's three and a half and can already write her name!  I'm so proud!



Thursday
Accidentally checked out MORE library books.


Fables Book 7: Arabian Nights (and Days) came in for me.  As I was wandering the shelves I found a copy of A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway, which I've been meaning to read for awhile.  I also found Sleep Demons: An Insomniac's Memoir by Bill Hayes and Marc Summers' book Everything In Its Place.  For those of you who didn't grow up with Nickelodeon in the 90's, Marc Summers was the host of a show called Family Double Dare.  More recently he's hosted the show Unwrapped on the Food Network.  His book is about living with severe OCD, so I'm excited to read that one.  Then, someone turned in a copy of Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan and I was trapped.

Edward and I are trying to exercise more, so we went walking in the evening.  It filled me with so much extra energy that I managed to scrub the bathroom and get three loads of laundry done before heading to bed!



Friday
Yesterday was spent clothes shopping with Edward.  He needed new shirts and pants for work, so we stopped by J.C. Penney, Kohls and Target.  I managed to snag a couple of things for myself, as well.

We joined some friends in the evening to eat at Hofbrau.  I wouldn't recommend it.  The long wait was annoying, but pretty normal for a Friday night.  But the food was too pricey for the taste.  It wasn't BAD food.  Just not really worth what they were charging.  Then we watched Fight Club at our friends' house.  I'd never seen it before, and I'm not sure why, because it was a great movie.  I always forget how much I like Edward Norton.



Saturday
Today has been pretty relaxed.  I went to the book sale first.  I was a little disappointed by the choices this time around.  I usually find tons of stuff I want, not so much this time.  I still left with a few cool things, though.


I found a Storage Solutions Workbench magazine with a bunch of how-to instructions for custom storage cabinets, which should come in handy when we get a house.  I snagged copies of Wolf Hall AND Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel.  I've been in a mood for the Tudors lately, so that was pretty exciting.  I found a copy of Smut by Alan Bennett, which I've been meaning to read.  Also, it has pictures of teacups having sex on the cover!  I also found Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Mehran.  I cannot for the life of me remember what that's about now, but oh well!  I also found The Final Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and something called Futurelove: A Science Fiction Triad for Edward.  All this for $8.50!



I also managed to buy some ebooks this week.  Barnes and Noble has very deviously decided to have a $2.99 and under section that I have already fallen victim to.  PLUS they are having a 50% off sale this weekend on over 1000 ebooks, so I'm sure I'll end up getting at least a couple of those, too.  So far I've wound up with Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi, which I had only checked out from the library before.  Also, Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi.  Then, I found Anthropology of an American Girl by Hilary Thayer Hamann for $.99!  What?!  Since Edward's birthday is coming up, I also got The Complete Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook by Joshua Piven and David Borgenicht.  He loves survival guides.


After a nice evening walk, we're going to enjoy some pizza (which should completely negate all the calories we burned off walking) and watch more Fringe

Here's to another great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment