Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Book Review

Days of Blood and Starlight
by Laini Taylor








I'm really enjoying this series, although I'm a bit concerned about how it will end.  I know what I would LIKE to happen, but there's also a good chance that my desired ending isn't possible.  And maybe it's better that way?  I'm afraid that if what I want to happen happens, then it will seem too cliche and unlikely.  I'm sorry I can't make more sense.


The Cover
I have no idea what this red face paint represents.  Would it have been too much to ask to use an image that related at all to the story?  Karou has all these sketchbooks; why don't the publishers recreate some of those images?  F-


Back of the Book

Art student and monster's apprentice Karou finally has the answers she has always sought.  She knows who she is - and what she is.  But with this knowledge comes another truth she would give anything to undo: She loved the enemy and he betrayed her, and a world suffered for it.

In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Karou must decide how far she'll go to avenge her people.  Filled with heartbreak and beauty; secrets and impossible choices, Days of Blood & Starlight finds Karou and Akiva on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life.

While Karou and her allies build a monstrous army in a land of dust and starlight, Akiva wages a different sort of battle: a battle for redemption.  For hope.  

But can any hope be salvaged from the ashes of their broken dream?


Things I Liked
  • Zuzana and Mik's relationship.  They were a little cutesy with their kissing, but sometimes that was refreshing in comparison with how miserable everyone else was. 
  • It was interesting to read from the point of view of different characters outside of the main narrative.  I got to see what this war is like for chimaera civilians as well as other angels.  Most authors don't really touch on what's happening to anyone outside of the story's main heroes or villains.  
  • Liraz and Hazael, Akiva's brother and sister.  Especially Hazael.  I just wanted to hug him.

Things I Didn't Like
  • Karou is not nearly as cool as she was in the first novel.  I get that she's feeling a lot of guilt and shame, and that she's grieving for her people.  But she was just taking all this shit from everybody, and I just wanted her to yell at someone!  Punch somebody in the face!  AGH!
  • The White Wolf (Thiago).  He is just the worst.  He is the Joffrey of this series.

 Favorite Quotes
Well, he made me my own cakewalk!  With numbers on the floor and music and SIX ENTIRE CAKES, and after I won them ALL we took them to the park and fed each other with these extra-long forks for like five hours.  It was the best day of my life.  
 
You're welcome for the wings, now use them to pee farther away please thank you!
 
He looked at her.  She thought he might urge her to go, but he didn't.  Maybe he just knew it wouldn't matter, that there was no safety, but maybe...maybe he liked not being alone.  He was, after all, just a boy.
 
"Well, we should at least have a code word then, to determine whether the other one is an imposter.  In case, you know, a monster steals my body in the five minutes I'm peeing."
 
Anyone who would wear all white like that clearly had issues.
 
And now he would hang it all around her neck?  Heavy, heavy, keys to a shattered kingdom.
 
"Daughter of my heart.  Twice-daughter, my joy.  Your dream is my dream, and your name is true.  You are all of our hope." 

"We are the beginning."

      No comments:

      Post a Comment