Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Book Review

Wedding Night
by Sophie Kinsella









Sophie Kinsella's novels are always good for a fun, light read.  Prepare for the typical, over-the-top shenanigans involving romance with this most recent one.  I usually find her main characters a bit annoying.  This one was no different, but the other characters more than made up for it.  There were a lot of laugh out loud moments.  It's chick-lit, you guys.  There's not a lot I can say for the plot except that it was typical for it's genre, not that that's necessarily a bad thing.


The Cover
Nothing special.  The columns and the scroll work look a little Grecian, which is the point, since a lot of the novel takes place on a Greek resort.  Everything that looks marigoldish in the above image is actually metallic gold, so it's a nice color scheme.


Back of the Book

Lottie just knows that her boyfriend is going to propose during lunch at one of London's fanciest restaurants.  But when his big question involves a trip abroad, not a trip down the aisle, she's completely crushed.  So when Ben, an old flame, calls her out of the blue and reminds Lottie of their pact to get married if they were both still single at thirty, she jumps at the chance.  No formal dates-- just a quick march to the altar and a honeymoon on Ikonos, the sun-drenched Greek island where they first met years ago.
Their family and friends are horrified.  Fliss, Lottie's older sister, knows that Lottie can be impulsive-- but surely this is her worst decision yet.  And Ben's colleague Lorcan fears that this hasty marriage will ruin his friend's career.  To keep Lottie and Ben from making a terrible mistake, Fliss concocts an elaborate scheme to sabotage their wedding night.  As she and Lorcan jet off to Ikonos in pursuit, Lottie and Ben are in for a honeymoon to remember, for better...or worse.



Things I Liked

  • The novel switches between Lottie and Fliss' point of view.  This was refreshing because chick-lit heroines can be really annoying and it's often difficult to read through their terrible decisions.  Fliss made some poor decisions too, but I wanted to yell at her a LOT less than I wanted to yell at Lottie.
  • The sisterly bond between Fliss and Lottie was fun to read.  When they're not trying to hide things from each other about this marriage, they are shockingly honest about everything, including their sex lives.
  • Both ladies have successful careers, and can survive on their own.  (Unlike Becky, in Kinsella's Shopaholic Series)
  • Ben's friend Lorcan
  • Lottie and Ben met on a vacation Lottie took on her "gap year" before she started University.  Why didn't I do something cool like this?


Things I Didn't Like

  • Lottie's whole acceptance of the proposal of a man she hasn't seen or spoken to in fifteen years.  What a TERRIBLE idea.
  • As stupid as Lottie's idea is, it's not Fliss' responsibility to fix it for her.  Just let her fuck up and fix her own mess.
  • Fliss drags her kid to Ikonos to stop the whole fiasco, taking him out of school.  But, she worries the whole time that he's not adjusting to her and her husband's divorce.  Umm, maybe he needs some structure and this vacation is a bad idea, Fliss.


Quotes
Richard looks even more desperate.  "The truth is, I don't always know what you're on about," he says in a sudden confessional rush.  "So sometimes I just...nod along."


One thing: I can damn well wear lipstick.  Perhaps they'll put that on my grave.  FELICITY GRAVENEY LIES HERE.  SHE COULD DAMN WELL WEAR LIPSTICK.


Please not "lose a stone."  Because 1) she's skinny already, and 2) last time she went on a diet, she made me be her "buddy" and instructed me to phone up every half hour and say, "Keep to the plan, you fat bitch," then complained when I refused.


I glare at him.  He's tragic.  First of all, that's not even the script.  Second, where has that fake "sexy" voice come from?  Third, he's now rolling up his sleeves, as though he's some sort of rugged, pharmaceutical-research version of Indiana Jones.  He really shouldn't.  His forearms are all white and veiny.


"Because I'm in charge of my life, thank you."  I pound my fist in my palm.  "Not some guy who can't even do a smokey eye."


Is this how rich people live?  No wonder celebrities look so miserable all the time.  They're thinking, If only the butler would let us have some bloody sex.


My entire face is prickling.  I can't believe he's dragging me into this.  I can't believe he's telling the whole beach we're going to do it on the floor.



Read more reviews about this book on LibraryThing.

No comments:

Post a Comment