Sunday, June 30, 2013

This Month In Fiction

I only read one fiction book this month, so I don't know what to tell you.





Persuasion
by Jane Austen



This was the last of Jane Austen's novels that I needed to read.  And EVERYONE I talk to says it's their favorite and it's super underrated and blah blah blah.

I can definitely see why.  For me, it's probably up there with Pride and Prejudice as my second favorite Austen novel.  But Sense and Sensibility is always going to be my favorite.

I really enjoyed Anne Elliot as a character.  Mostly because she was just such a normal person.  I love normal person characters.  Her family is awful, with the exception of her brother-in-law, who actually seems like a decent person, if not a little weird.

What is with everybody fainting all the time?  Was everyone just malnourished?  I'm not going to pretend to know about health in this time period.  I mostly wish I could get away with this fainting business when I don't feel like going to work.  I'm not sure if Louisa really fainted in this book, or if Captain Wentworth accidentally jiggled her brain loose, but she got away with spending a whole month in bed.  I could get SO MUCH READING DONE IN A MONTH.

Thank God Anne stays sane in a crisis.  While everybody else was fainting because they were scared about Louisa fainting, Anne kept her shit together and managed to get everyone in bed and seen by the doctor while holding up Henrietta and watching the love of her life play Jump-Off-The-Stairs-Into-My-Arms with another woman.

Thank you, Anne Elliot.  For being an excellent role model and not taking anyone's shit.


Read more reviews about this book on LibraryThing.

No comments:

Post a Comment