Tuesday, August 6, 2013

This Month in Fiction

Didn't get much fiction in this month.  Blame my new house for taking up all my attention. 



Life of Pi
by Yann Martel


I was actually pretty scared to read this; I don't do open water.  I couldn't go see the movie, because I probably would have just cried and thrown up the whole time.  Since I'd heard such wonderful things about the story, I decided to give the book a go.

I'm so glad I did, because I really enjoyed this novel.  There's probably very few of us who can say they've had to survive an extended period of time on a lifeboat (thank God), so we don't have any experiences to compare Pi's struggle with.  But Martel answers all your questions about living on the ocean, including ones you didn't think to ask.  Like, what happens when Pi has to poop?  I mean, he can probably just go in the water, right?  What about when the tiger poops?

I thought this story was beautiful, and I'd love to read more from Martel. 


Awesome Quotes

It was a huge zoo, spread over numberless acres, big enough to require a train to explore it, though it seemed to get smaller as I grew older, train included.  Now it's so small it fits in my head.

The world soul cannot die, even in one contained part of it.

It was not wide, just one man's voice, but it was as deep as the universe.


Read more reviews about this book on LibraryThing.



I also reread Pride and Prejudice.  Ugh, is there anyone in the world more annoying than Lydia Bennet?  I'd like to kick her right in the boob.

Wickham is over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment