Sunday, November 3, 2013

This Week I Am

Reading 


Adulting: How to Become a Grown-Up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps
by Kelly Williams Brown

A nice, light read for anyone whose technically an adult, but isn't sure if they're acting like one.  There's a lot of good advice in here for anyone who hasn't lived on their own before.  Some of the tips seemed a little "Duh," but I guess we weren't all born with responsible instincts.

There's also a lot of decent etiquette tips.

Step 99: If you forget someone's name, try to trick them into saying it.

Step 107: Don't tell strangers about your problems

Step 157: Do not tell the Internet what you think of your job

If only everyone on Facebook would read this, I wouldn't have to block so many of my own friends from my news feed.

I'm only about halfway through.  But, I just started the chapter on money, which should be pretty good.


Reading Lolita in Tehran
by Azar Nafisi

After seeing this book get turned in to the library about a million times, and swearing  I'll read it later, I decided to go ahead and check it out.


So far, I like it.  I love both books about books and  memoirs of other cultures, so this seemed right up my alley.  

Nafisi started a secret literature class in her home for seven of her female students in an effort to give them a place to be themselves, and study books they might not normally get away with in the strict schools in Iran.






September 2013 issue of Vogue

I'm pretty much in love with Jennifer Lawrence, so I bought this back in August without even bothering to flip through it first.  Of course, the September issue is always the best anyway, so I figured it was a good investment.

It's taken me over a month to read, which is just a little sad.  But, in my defense, I've been really busy lately!

Slip dresses are back.  They look a lot nicer than they did in the nineties, so I'm a little excited.

Also, I'm now obsessed with this bag by Versace
It's only about $2800, so I'll just get two.



Also, I just bought S. by JJ Abrams and Doug Dorst.  And I'm so excited!  I may actually have to put off some of the other stuff I'm reading to devote to this.



Listening To

I usually listen to podcasts while I get ready for work in the morning.  Currently, I'm trying to catch up on episodes of Throwing Shade.  If you aren't listening to this show, you need to start doing so immediately.  If you're like me, you like to keep up with current events, but you hate talking politics with people, because things get so heated and serious.  I hate the awkward pause AFTER a politics conversation when you have to figure out how to lighten the mood again.  Bryan and Erin strike the perfect balance between talking about today's issues, and making fun of themselves and everyone else. 

As far as music, I've been listening to the new CD by The Piano Guys and Birdy's first album, which is perfect music to clean your house to.




Watching

Old episodes of the Venture Brothers.


My Netflix queue has about 90 shows/movies on it.  Is this normal?  Does anybody else have near that much?



Wearing

Just bought this hoodie on Modcloth.  You can also buy it in red.


It's probably one of the best purchases I've made in awhile.  It's really comfortable.  I even took a nap in it earlier, and it was AMAZING.  The weather is only JUST starting to get cool down here.  And even then, it's only cool in the mornings.  By the afternoon, it's in the 80s again.  A light jacket like this is perfect.  I wish it came in more colors.




Doing

We did a LOT of work on our kitchen last week.  The tile in both the entryway and the kitchen was unfinished, so we worked on that.  I finally finished painting the baseboards in there and I painted the back door as well.

I really don't like our cabinet doors, but it's probably going to be awhile before we can replace them, so I'm trying to appease myself by picking out new drawer knobs and pulls. 

I'm loving these ones from Anthropologie right now.




Here's to a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment