Sunday, May 11, 2014

Book Review

Tastemakers
by David Sax


Disclaimer:  I received a free advanced copy of this book from the publisher through LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review.



This book took awhile to get through.  Not because it wasn't any good, but because there's a LOT of information packed in there.  Reading this was how I imagine reading a school textbook would be if school textbooks were interesting.   

Sax gives us a very in-depth look at the world of food trends, something I didn't realize even existed.  I mean, I'm not an idiot, I knew there were food trends.  But, I guess I'd always just assumed that somebody, somewhere, cooked something, it became popular, other people cooked it as well, then something else became popular.  But, it turns out to be so much more than that.  There's politics involved.  Lots of politics.  And food shows and awards and agricultural growing patterns and cultural migration and nutrition and on and on and on.

Read it.  It'll take a little while, but it's worth it.  Also, it will make you very, very hungry and you will probably have to eat a lot of cupcakes.



Read more reviews about this book on LibraryThing.

No comments:

Post a Comment